The gate of the city walls, known as the ‘arch’ gate, controlled the access to the fortified village.
The door is an arched lancet and dates from the year 1495, as indicated by the inscription placed on the lintel. It is not certain, however, if in that year it was built or possibly rebuilt.
On the keystone of the door is the stone emblem of the Colonna family.
Located at the highest part of the village, the stronghold, built by the Counts of Celano, guaranteed the ability to site, control and of course defend the surrounding territory.
It is a rare military example of a square tower in Abruzzo without a sloping wall at the base and it could date back to the Norman castle construction period.