The church, located at the entrance of the village, was rebuilt in the 18th century on the ruins of a building dating back to 1555. During the first half of the 20th century the flat ceiling of the nave was constructed.
ExteriorFrom the original church there is still the elegant portal with stone, moulded cornice which is framed by an order of composite pilasters featuring candelabra motifs, plant shoots and anthropomorphic figures that also cover the lintel. Above the door, in the centre of the frame, is a carved bas-relief "M" - a symbol of the Virgin Mary - surmounted by a crown held up by two angels. Above the portal is a semicircular stone moulded bezel bearing an inscription of the date of 1555 when the church was first built. Higher up, in the middle part of the wide rectangular facade, there is a central oculus which is now bricked in. On the top level, there is a semi-circular niche at counterpoint to another two niches, equally positioned, on the side sections the facade. Adjacent to the right side of the church, flush with the façade, there is a 16th-century stone bell tower with round arches and a pyramidal spire.
InteriorInside, the church has three naves. The presbytery and apse are interesected by the transept, which cross at the dome. The nave is covered by a flat ceiling of recent construction whereas the aisles are a succession of bays covered with pseudo-hemispherical domes.
The inlaid marble high altar houses the remains of the patron Saint San Donato the Martyr, which were transferred from Rome to Castel Di Ieri in 1753. Along the perimeter walls of the aisles are located a number of stone altars from the 17th century. Inside the church there are also some 18th-century paintings on canvas (the Madonna and Child, Christ and St. Peter) and a trefoil processional cross from the 15th century.